mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

wine-er

I'm not a wine drinker. Other than a couple times I had wine with the parents or at a nice dinner, my wine-drinking experience has been limited to Boone's Farm Stawberry Field - the kind of wine with a screwtop that you find in the "bum wine" isle. I usually stick with beer - it seems less pretensious and goes with almost anything - and I don't even drink much anymore.

But over Christmas break, I was in NJ and decided to make a trip to the Westfield Trader Joe's - the only one in NJ that sells alcohol (none of the ones in Maryland do). I picked up a bottle of two-buck chuck (which in NJ is 3-buck chuck) Sauvingnon Blanc. Since it's snowing outside and I'm not going anywhere, I decided it would be a good time to crack it open - it would go great with some Linguine and Clam Sauce.

One little problem with the whole "crack open" thing is that unlike Boone's Farm, Chuck actually has a cork. I did happen to have a corkscrew, but no experience using it. After about 10 minutes of tugging, I finally got it off - but I made a huge hole in the cork in the process.

The wine wasn't bad though - sweet, but not overpowering, and kind of fruity. If I were a wine snob, I would probably compare it to pencil shavings or strawberries or charcol or something. But I'm not a wine snob, so I would have to say it tasted like fermented grape juice - in a good way.

Guess I won't be starting a wine blog anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home