mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

MadAnthony.net is selling out!

I don't check the gmail account that appears on the right all that often, because it's mostly spam. So I was giving going through it yesterday and noticed an interesting one - from Sprint, asking me to participate in their Ambassador Program. Apparently, you get a phone to try for 6 months and fill out reports on their website of how you like the phone and it's features. They don't talk about blogging anywhere, but I'm guessing that's part of what they are hoping people do - since it seems clear they found me through the blog (since they used the gmail account, and since they refered to me as "Mad Anthony.". So I guess their is a bit of buzz/grassroots marketing there, although they don't explicitly mention it.

Of course, they are also probably hoping that I'll love the phone after 6 months that I'll start paying for service - but considering that I just signed a two-year contract with Verizion (and got a spiffy LG VX8100) two months ago, that's unlikely. Plus I already have a BlackBerry for work, so I am going to be phoned out.

But it is another gadget to play with, and it feels cool that a major corporation wants my opinion (and probably thinks I have enough influence to convince people to buy their product). So I should be getting the phone (they said it would be a Samsung SPH-A900) in the next month or so, and I'll give a post when I get it.

And if any companies want to take advantage of my coolness before I make my first million, feel free to send me free products to try - especially if you make plasma TV's or luxury SUV's.

Edit: A little googling reveals that a bunch of other bloggers, including Jeff Jarvis of BuzzMachine and a number of his commenters have also gotten the emails. Seems like Sprint is sending out a lot of these. I am curious how they picked me, as I'm way below the radar, but I'm glad they did.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

How did you decide on the VX8100? Can't make up my mind between it and the E815.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger mad anthony said...

I picked the VX8100 mostly on the advice of a coworker who is a major phone freak and had just bought one and loves it.

I'm not a heavy cell phone user, and I don't use half the features it has (I still haven't upgraded the firmware for it to play mp3's), but with all the promos it wasn't much more expensive than a basic phone, so I figured I might as well get the latest and greatest...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home