mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Monday, January 30, 2006

On Time...

Lately, I've found myself with a bunch of things I need to do and limited time to do them. I'm hoping to buy a house soon, but looking around my apartment, I'm not sure how I'm ever going to get everything cleaned/packed/ect. Now that Hamfest is over, I have a pile of unsold stuff that needs to go on eBay, but I started writing descriptions last night and then decided to go to sleep after writing two...

I was talking to my mom a couple weeks ago and told her this. She said she understands because she never has enough time to clean either. What is interesting about that is she's retired. Granted, she has more stuff - she's lived in the same house since 1972, and has a whole house to clean instead of just a room and a closet. But she also has pretty much the whole day, without having to devote time to work, class, ebay, or the gym like I do.

But I think back to when I had less stuff to do, and I don't remember ever really being bored. Back when I first started my job, I only worked 5 days a week instead of 6, I wasn't taking night classes, and I never went to the gym. But I managed to fill my time doing other stuff - reading for pleasure, playing video games, sleeping way more than I do now.

So that gives me my current theory - that the activites you do will fill all your available time plus more. If you have lots of stuff to do, you either put off some of it, do it quickly/crappily, or otherwise find a way to make most of it fit.

Economists like to use the term "satisfysing" for finding a decision that is not optimal, but is pretty good based on easily available information. I think we do that with time usage to - we don't get everything done, or done right, but we find a way to get most of it done.

Of course, this still doesn't help me figure out when I'm going to get my closet cleaned out. I think I need a snow day. But since it's like 55 degrees out, I don't think that's going to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home