mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In which madanthony buys a wii fit, confirms that he "falls down a lot"...

When Nintendo launched the Wii Fit over the summer, I pre-ordered two from Amazon, figuring I'd keep one and resell the other on eBay. I did OK with the one I sold, so I decided to sell the other one, promising myself that I would buy myself one when the price went down to retail - after all, I wasn't sure I would really use it that much. I bought 3 more (one more from Amazon, two from Gamestop stores) for resale. A few days ago, I noticed NewEgg had them in stock, and I decided to buy one for myself. I think I was inspired by one of the TV ads, because the chick in the ad was kind of cute. Which proves a number of things, including that I'm easily impressionable and disturbingly lonely.

So it came a few days ago. I finally took it out of the box last night.

When you first run the Wii Fit disk, it goes through a bunch of stuff telling you how your weight, center of balance, ect is. It said I was normal in weight (but just barely) and that my posture could use some work, which is an understatement - my back curves like a country road.

I fooled around with some of the yoga stuff first - most of them were actually kind of cool - they didn't really feel like you were doing much, but you could feel that your muscles had stretched afterwords. Then I got to the tree pose, and realized how uncoordinated I am - I kept falling over. Years ago, I remember my old landlord asking my then-roomate bsom if he had shoveled the stairs leading up to our building, because "Anthony falls down a lot". He was right.

The Wii Fit has a bunch of other games, including a step class that once again revealed my lack of coordination.

I do want to try to use the Wii Fit regularly, even if it's only for a few minutes a day - I figure I probably could use some work on stretching and posture, and I want to get my money's worth out of the thing. The hard time is finding time. I usually go to the gym after work and do cardio for 90 minutes or so, and by the time I get home it's usually 7:45 or so - I just want to eat dinner, and after I eat dinner I don't want to work out for a while. I really have to wait a few hours after that, and by then I just want to go to sleep.

I also noticed I felt a little sore today, and my normal gym workout tonight seemed way harder than normal - I actually ended up ending 4 minutes early, and I was so covered with sweat that I changed my shirt before I left the gym. I don't know if it was because of the Wii, or just because I ate a bunch today and didn't have the best of days in a couple of ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home