mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

There are some TV shows I hate to admit I watch...

I generally have a simple formula for what I like in a TV show. Usually, it's boobies and shit blowing up, which is why one of my current favorites is Burn Notice and one of my favorite shows of all time was Fox's short-lived Fastlane.

But I also have a number of reality shows programed in my DVR. No, not the kind of fake reality shows where they stick a bunch of people who hate each other in a house and see how they interact, but shows that follow everyday people at work. I have The First 48, Jacked (which follows a NJ auto-theft task force) and Wrecked (about a Chicago towing company).

But I recently added one show to my DVR that, as a straight male, I'm kind of embarrassed about. It's a show I would never have thought to watch, but happened to be on on a TV at the gym in front of me, and I got sucked in. The show? Bravo's Tabitha Coffey's Salon Makeover.

Now, the reason I find the show oddly compelling has nothing to do with the hair-related subject matter. I get my hair cut at Great Clips by whatever cute nose-ringed stylist happens to be on duty, and I'm happy if I can get my hair to mostly stay down on my head.

But Salon Makeover isn't just about hair. It's about business and management. She goes into troubled salons and addresses issues of marketing, of product placement, of poor customer service, financial stats - things of interest to a business major and MBA like myself. She looks at management issues - one of the biggest ones which seems to be managers who have trouble controlling employees who are also their friends. If I ever get promoted, I could see this as an issue, so it's interesting to see how they deal with it.

When I was in my MBA program, one of my teachers was an ex=phone-company exec who took early retirement to teach and do consulting. His biggest consulting client is a chain of salons and spas, and he found it pretty interesting - and said that retaining and keeping workers happy was one of the hardest parts of the salon business.

So maybe I'm not the only straight male who finds the salon business oddly fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home