mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Monday, September 01, 2008

If I get a stylish bamboo skin for this blog, will it be eco-friendly?

The new trend in technology seems to be covering things in bamboo. First there was the SimpleTech [re]Drive, covered in bamboo and with an aluminum frame, and now Asus is introducing a line of bamboo-covered laptops that are "partially biodegradable".

Maybe I should buy a Hummer and cover it in bamboo - I mean, if it's covered in bamboo, it's good for the environment, right?

I'm somewhere in the middle on the environment - I don't think there is anything wrong with reducing our waste, recycling, cutting use of fossil fuels, ect - if people are willing to do it, and if the costs outweighs the benefits, there certainly are advantages to having less trash, mining fewer metals, and having less oil and pollution. But I don't think people should be forced to make drastic changes to their standard of living, and I think recycling is often promoted even when it costs way more than just mining new stuff. And I don't think that the biggest problem facing the environment is laptops and external hard drives - I have to wonder if places that process and recycle computer waste would even know what to do with them if these show up in a couple years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home