mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

You're looking a little Palin...

Well, I figure I should comment about the McCain Veep pick. I don't blog about politics as much as I used to, for a number of reasons - I don't care about it as much as I used to, I've realized that many of the people who read my blog don't care about it, and I've realized that since I live in a state that tends to vote Democrat by a huge percentage, it's not like my vote really matters anyway.

So what do I think of his pick? Mostly good.

Picking a woman is an interesting move, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make - people who don't like McCain will see it as pandering, but she's an interesting pick for a lot of reasons besides her gender. She has a reputation as being against pork (selling the previous governor's Gulfstream jet on eBay was an awesome move) as well as being against the bridge to nowhere. It plays up McCain's maverick cred and helps fight some of the "same as Bush" complaints. The fact that she's a hunter and lifetime NRA member certainly helps her cred as a conservative.

The biggest problem is her lack of experience. Of course, Obama isn't exactly teeming with experience, and he's the actual presidential candidate, not the Veep. And it's sort of a catch-22 - pick someone with lots of experience, and they are a Washington insider who won't make change - plus at some point, they probably have done something wrong and will have a skeleton in the closet. On the other hand, pick someone without a whole lot of experience and they get complaints for not having enough experience.

I have to say I'm already getting fed up about politics about the election. We've had Fox News or CNN on pretty much all day the last couple days - it's move-in weekend at the college I work at, and I'm covering phones and chat support. It's actually been much slower than it has in previous years - which is why I've had time to blog - and people have had TV's on in the background, and I've heard way too much about Obama and Palin and the rest of late. As I said, I know who I vote for won't really matter, and I tend to vote with my wallet anyway, and the Republicans are better for that. So I've stopped caring about election coverage, and it's only August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home