mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

I'm told it means "empty orchestra"

There's a list of things that I enjoy doing, even though I'm not very good at them. I go to the gym regularly, even though I'm that one flabby guy in a sea of perfectly toned bodies. I will accept invitations to go shooting, even though most of my shots end up on the edge of the target, and to go bowling, even though about half my balls end up in the gutter.

I guess I can add Karaoke to that list.

A little backstory. For the last month or so, bsom and I have been going to Mango Manny's, a bar in the basement of a Ramada Inn. The food is a step up from your average cafeteria and the atmosphere resembles a basement dressed up to look like a tiki lounge. But I still like the place - the crowd is laid back, the beer is cheap, and we've placed in the top three pretty much every week, and our "team", Sofa King Stoopid, is currently in second place overall, mostly due to bsom's massive knowledge of movies and music.

So when we went this week, we found out that they now have karaoke. Now, I like to sing, though I'm not very good at it. So I figured I'd give it a try - it's not like I knew the people there, or really cared what they thought of me. I picked Cake's Short Skirt Long Jacket, because 1)it's basically spoken word and 2)it's got the line "she's trading in her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron (madanthony's first car was a LeBaron).

I discovered that it's harder than I thought. Aside from the fact that I can't really sing, it's weird trying to sing without lyrics - even when you've got the screen in front of you, it's hard to know if your timing is right, or if you sound anything like you should.

So now the creepy group of regulars probably think I'm even weirder than they did before, and bsom has a recording on his iPhone of me going "loooonnngggg jacket".

Still, I'm tempted to do it again. I mean, I can't sound any worse, can I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home