mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What do you do for fun? I wish I knew...

If you spend as much time on dating sites as I do, eventually a dreaded question comes up, either when filling out a profile or when communicating with a potential match... So, what do you do for fun?

It should be an easy question, but it's one I never have a good answer for.

Until recently, I had minimal free time on my hands. I was working six days a week up until a year and a half ago, and taking grad classes at night until last summer. I still work a lot of overtime - it probably works out to at least one weekend day a month, plus I've been working Tuesday nights until 10pm for the last 6 months or so.

But when I'm not at work, I tend to fill my time with hobbies that aren't terribly interesting, or sexy, or conductive to involvement with another person. I go to the gym daily, unless something else (like work) prevents me - which kills 90 minutes working out, plus time spent getting changed and the like. I read. I watch TV, although not all that much. I spend a fair amount of time online - blogging, reading message boards, listing stuff on eBay. I go to yard sales, hamfests, auctions, flea markets, browse the clearance sections of Target and Staples. I play the occasional game of wii bowling, until my cat starts attacking the wiimote.

I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to get out more - I might try to take a few day trips this summer, maybe give hiking a try, although I'm not sure where I'd hike. I have a group of acquaintances - friends of a friend- that I've occasionally done dinner and board games with, and I should probably get that going again. But I don't get out much, don't really like doing things by myself all that much, and can't help but think if half my income is going to my mortgage, I should probably spend some time while I'm awake at home. And despite my lack of exciting hobbies, I still have a backlog of stuff I need to do at home - cleaning, eBay descriptions, home improvements- partly due to lack of time, partly due to procrastination.

When I look at profiles on dating sites, I look at the pictures, and if they have a ton of pictures like "me jumping out of an airplane" or "me in Alaska fighting wild wolves" I can figure they probably won't go for me - and on sites like eHarmony where people close matches, they are usually the ones that get closed.

I guess I have a couple of choices:

1) try to develop hobbies that make me look cool, even if I hate them.

2) hope that someday I find a chick whose idea of fun is getting up at 7am and going through granny's old crap at a yard sale in the hopes of finding something of value

3) learn to be happy alone

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Thibeaux said...

It's time to leave your job at the university and switch to an industry that pays more, such that garage sales are no longer worth your time. Try starting with deciding who you want to meet, and then choosing a hobby that will have that kind of people. I've had success with volunteering.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger mad anthony said...

I actually do the yard sale thing partly because I enjoy it - there's a certain satisfaction in finding something that everyone thinks is junk but I know is worth something. Plus I've gotten some eclectic stuff, like a vintage typewriter I have in my living room. While I'm always looking for more money, it's not like I can't buy food or pay the mortgage if I don't have my ebay income.

Volunteering is a good idea, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home