mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Friday, January 11, 2008

A working weekend...

I'm not one of those people who "lives for the weekend". Sure, it's nice to not have to go to work, and to sleep in. But I don't have the most active of social lives, so most of the time I spend my weekends running errands, being bored, and feeling guilty about not getting stuff done and like a loser for not having a bunch of cool stuff to on the weekend.

But I was actually kind of looking forward to this weekend. I figured I would probably have to work Sunday - it's the day all the students come back at the college I work for - but at least I would have Saturday off to go the gym and do laundry and get the oil changed in my truck. Plus, for some reason, this week felt long. I don't know why - work was slow, with most of the students and professors gone - but sometimes it's better to be busy than bored. Maybe it's because it was the first full week after a long Christmas break. Maybe it's because I've actually been good about going to the gym, and it's kind of beating me up. Maybe I've been eating too much Target clearance Christmas candy. But I figured a day to recover - to sleep in and get some stuff done - would be good for me, and I would enjoy it.

That was the plan until around noon today, when I was asked to work Saturday from noon to five.

I shouldn't complain. It's overtime, and I can always use the money - when you've got $220,000+ in debt hanging over your head, you can't turn overtime down.

But it means basically 12 days in a row without a day off. It means I'll have to put off my oil change another week and another couple hundred miles. And it means I'll have to struggle to get to the gym and to church - I can't afford to miss a day at the gym, which means I need to get there at 9am or so tomorrow morning. It's a pain because it's basically only a half-day of overtime, and it's smack in the middle of the day, which breaks the day up and makes it hard to accomplish much.

On the plus side, I have a three-day weekend next week (thanks, Martin Luther King!). Unless that changes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home