mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Yet another reminder that I'm getting old...

It's pretty frequent that something comes up and reminds me that I'm not as young as I once was (and probably not as good once as I've ever been). For example, since I work at a college, we have students working for us - and one of them mentioned a few days ago that he was born in 1989. That's 9 years after madanthony emerged, kicking and screaming, from the womb. That's almost a decade. That means it's been almost a decade since I entered college, a fresh-faced and innocent youth so full of hope and fear. Well, I kept the fear part.

But for a true reminder of the fact that I'm old, there is this YouTube video that my friend bsom stumbled on while looking for a video of the buzz box guitar pedal. It's an infomercial for a collection of alternative rock music. It's got stuff like smashmouth, fuel, filter, live, collective soul, and a bunch of other music that I don't exactly consider old. This is the music of my youth - the stuff I listened to in high school and college. And now it's in the equivalent of a K-TEL sampler.

Not only does it mean that the music I listened to in high school has been out so long that the "alternative" artists are willing to let it be included in a box set with no fear of losing street cred or selling out, man, it also means that I'm now old enough to be part of the generation that watches infomercials and buys shit off the TV - probably because they can't sleep because those darn kids keep running across their lawn, or they are watching TV while they wait for the metamucil to kick in.

And now, I've got to go buy a single piece of fruit with a coupon and then return it, making everyone behind me wait in line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home