mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Snow day....

So we got some "wintery mix" on Tuesday. Wintery Mix sounds to me like something you would feed a polar bear, but it's sleet, freezing rain, snow, and other forms of really cold precpitation.

One nice thing about working for a college is that you get paid time off when the school closes. We closed early on Tuesday, were closed on wednesday, and opened late on Thursday.

I always have dreams of using snow days productively. In my mind, the ideal snow day would be something like this.

6:30 - wake up, discover that I don't have to go to work, remain awkae

6:30-9:30 treadmill

9:30-10 breakfast

10am- midnight - read war and peace, cure cancer, cook a 10 course gourmet meal, and organize everything in my house.

Instead, my day went more like this:


6:30 - wake up, discover that I don't have to go to work

6:30-9:30 - sleep

9:30 - 11 - eat breakfast, drink coffee, watch reruns of "the first 48" off my DVR, browse the web.

11-11:30 - read about strategic management for my MBA class

11:30 - phone rings. It's Tracey (bsom's gf). She broke the windshield wiper off her car, and can I drive her to Autozone. I grudgingly agree, but tell her to give me a couple hours to clean off the truck.

11:30-12:00 - continue reading

12 - 1:30 - shovel walk, clean off truck. Neighbor whose spot and townhouse is next to me introduces himself (I've lived here 8 months).

1:30 - 2:30 - pick up Tracey, go to autozone. discover on way there that the driver's side blinker on my truck doesn't work. Pick up bulb. Drop Tracey off. Go home.

2:30 - 4:30 - eat pizza, watch TV, do more reading for class. watch more TV.

4:30 - decide I should actually install the bulb. Take apart assembly. Take bulb out. Realize it looks nothing like the replacements. Put assembly back together.

4:30- 5 - drive to Autozone. Discover that they rang me up for the right bulb, but cashier dude grabbed the wrong one. Change bulb in parking lot of Autozone. Fits, but still doesn't work.

5:-5:30 - drive home, take assembly apart again, try other bulb in package, same result. Conclude that the issue is not the bulb. This isn't surprising, since the package says that even the non-long-life bulbs last 1200 hours. I've had the truck since the last week of July, about 200 days. I would thus have had to drive around with the blinker on for 6 hours a day every day since I bought the truck in order to exceed the life span of the bulb. I haven't.

5:30 - midnight - watch TV, eat dinner, do an hour on the treadmill, go to sleep with the disappointing sense that I've accomplished little during the day (except that I've got the bulk of my homework done, so I have Saturday morning, when I normally do it, to do something else. Which will probably be running around to Target or something equally unproductive.

The problem I've been running into lately is that I seem to enjoy sitting around watching TV and surfing the web, but I feel guilty about it when I've got books I should be reading, cleaning I need to do around the house, chairs to assemble, stuff I should list on eBay, ect. I'm having trouble finding a balance.

Maybe some more snow days would help...

2 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

Do you call him bsom in real life? If so, do you pronounce it B-S-O-M (spell it out) or do you say Bee-SOM? Some other way?

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger mad anthony said...

No, I usually call him his real first name. But it's usually pronounced bee-some. And he won't tell where the name came from...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home