mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Pack it up, pack it in....

If you check this blog, you've probably noticed that I've been posting even less than usual. For some odd reason, working 6 days a week, plus taking a 2-day a week night class, plus trying to move, makes it difficult for MadAnthony to do other things he enjoys - like reading for pleasure or going to the gym or blogging or sleeping.

I've been trying to force myself to pack at least one box a day. It's difficult to pack and to try to go on with everyday life - to figure out what stuff you need to live and what stuff can go into a box for the next couple weeks. This results in what I like to call "the paradox of packing" - the stuff you pack is the stuff that you use least, that is already stowed away. As a result, most of what I've packed so far is stuff I seldom use - boxes of random computer parts that I "might need someday", books from the bookshelf, clothing that I don't wear, dishes I don't use. This means that I now have a ton of boxes that I can't really get around, and a bunch of empty bookshelves and cabinets, and still have a ton of stuff left. It also means that I find myself wondering if I should be throwing more out. I tend to be a pack rat, and find myself saving stuff I don't need, like power cables - we have a ton of these where I work, to the point that we regularly throw them out, yet I saved a box of them in case I needed them. Granted, I've thrown a bunch of stuff out- everything from a jamming laser printer to a 6-year-old box of Tuna Helper - but I've kept much more.

I'm going to a Hamfest - basically a flea market for geeks - next week in the hopes of unloading some of the crap I don't need and don't have time to eBay, which should give me a couple bucks and a few boxes less junk. Granted, at least some of the junk I'm dealing with was purchased at previous Hamfests, so I run the risk of buying more junk than I sell. Granted, this means giving up a day I could be using for packing - Sunday is currently my one day off - but I'm hoping I get rid of enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

One thing that has suffered of late is my diet. I haven't gained any weight yet, but I've been eating way too much deep-fried cheese and not hitting the gym enough due to time constraints and laziness. My landlord also has the world's oldest treadmill, something I will miss when I move - I'll have to buy one of my own, thus spending money, something I always hate to do but do too much of.

Speaking of which, I'm also debating about buying a second vehicle. The college I work for is selling off some surplus vans, and I'm thinking that buying a van would be a good idea - I can use it to move and to save on delivery fees for the furniture, treadmill, grill, ect that I plan on buying for the new house. I would then either sell it and get back most of my investment or keep it as a second vehicle for when the PT is in the shop or I need to haul something - provided the van didn't blow up or anything. Of course, I would have to deal with the extra insurance and registration costs, and I'm not sure how cost-effective this idea is.

Well, that's the MadAnthony update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home