mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Why do they assume everyone with the same waist is the same height?

For the last couple months, I've been on a quest of sorts. I've been trying to buy a product that is difficult to find. It's not some complicated piece of electronics, or some exotic car. It's a pair of sweatpants that conform to my specifications.

See, there are two things I want in a pair of sweatpants. The first is pockets - preferably side and back, but I will settle for side. The second is elastic at the cuffs.

Why? Because I'm short and fat. I'm trying to get less fat (which is the main reason I want sweats - to exersize in). But right now, I'm fat. So I wear xxl sweatpants. Manufacturers seem to think that anyone who has a large waist is 8 feet tall, and the pants match. With jeans or khakis, it's worth getting hemmed, but I can't justify getting a pair of sweatpants hemmed. So I need elastic at the leg openings. The zipper-at-the-bottom windpants just don't cut it for me - they are fine if you need an inch or two less, but not so useful if you need them a foot or so shorter.

Until yesterday, I had only found one pair that fit my specs. But I was at Vanity Fair outlets in Reading yesterday, and I figured it would be different. After all, Lee makes a ton of sweatpants. I was even more psyched that they also sold Nautica stuff - I could get a high-end pair of sweatpants, suitable for wearing in public intead of just the gym.

But alas, it was not to be - while they had two nice types of Nautica sweats, one had a zipper bottom and the other had a flat bottom. I did get a cheap pair of Lee sweats, in a rather ugly gray color (the blue I wanted were not in my size).

I've even tried eBay looking for sweatpants that conform to my specs with no luck. I can't believe that I'm the only short, fat person in the world looking for comfortable elastic-waist pants for exersizing, lounging, and going places where I don't care what I look like. I mean, sweatpants were made for fat people - elastic is the fat man's best friend.

1 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have exactly the same problem. In fact, I searched the net to see what the hell was up -- I mean, why does hang 6" over my feet? Surely, I must not understand the nuances of the fashion because I know most customers aren't 8' freaks, like you mentioned. It's the only kind of sweatpants they seem to have anymore, so I'll adapt by folding them in and tacking up the sides inside so they don't look funny.

*SIGH*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home