mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

I hope the party is over when I get there...

I'm realizing what a loser I am. One of my housemates is having a party this afternoon. I'm at work, and have some errands and other stuff to do afterwords, so I won't be back until 6:30 or later. I'm hoping that the party is over when I get home.

I can't imagine thinking that a few years ago when I was in college. But while I enjoy hanging out with people I know, hanging out with people I don't know, like my roomate's friends, is something I dread. I hate meeting new people, and I suck at making conversation with people I don't know.

Plus the roomate who is having the party is an English grad student at Hopkins. That means that all his friends are way smarter and better looking than me. He had a party last year, and it was filled with people I couldn't relate to. By looking at most of the guys, you would assume they were gay, but after a while realized that they were in fact those metrosexuals that the press likes to talk about. You know how Maxim and other men's mags have those pictures in the back of guys modeling clothes that you would never in a million years wear, and aren't quite sure who would actually buy them? These are the people who actually buy those clothes. It also doesn't help that most of their politics are somewhere around Dean/Nader territory, which means standing around awkwardly while a bunch of people talk about how much they hate Bush.

By now, you might be thinking "but Mad Anthony, at least it's a party. That means free booze". And sadly, that doesn't even really excite me anymore. In the last couple months I've sharply cut back on my beer consumption. I think I've had maybe 2 beers in the last month. The reasons for this are twofold: first of all, I've been trying to lose weight, and beer is basically empty calories. Secondly, I've been crazy busy - even now that I don't have any classes, I've still got work, eBay, cleaning, and other stuff I should be doing. When I drink beer, I get tired, and when I get tired there is no way I get anything done. So I'm at the point where drinking one or two beers will probably knock me out, thus making me seem like even more of a loser.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home