mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Truck you!

Well, after about a year or so of debating if I should buy a new vehicle to replace my '02 PT Cruiser, which ate electronic parts and front-end parts faster than Mad Anthony eats through a plate of cheese balls at Field's Old Trail Tavern.

So Wednesday, I finally did. I bought a 2006 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4WD. Oh, and it's bright yellow - they call it "shocking yellow".

I got an OK deal on it - $1000 off sticker (I know a better negotiator could have done better, but considering the PT came with no rebates or discounts, as it was back when they were still in short supply, I'm happy), $3000 in manufacturer rebates, and $7000 for my old PT Cruiser. Considering the condition of the PT - the steering wheel would shake, the brakes would make lots of noise every time I stopped (despite having been replaced 6 months earlier, which makes we wonder if I had jammed a rotor again) and the air bag light would go on and off when it rained- I think I did OK.

So why the Ranger? I wish I could say it is because I drove a bunch of other vehicles and it was the best. I didn't - I didn't test drive anything else. I wanted something with 4wd and that I expected to be decently reliable. Since the Ranger has been in production forever, I figured all the bugs had been worked out. I 've known a couple people - an old college roomate and an uncle - who have owned Rangers/B2000's with well over 100,000 trouble-free miles, and I see a ton of older Rangers driving around the city. The huge factory rebates didn't hurt either.

I'm hoping that I have better luck with this than the PT. When I bought the PT, I was in love with it. Of course, once it turned into a money pit I hated it. I still have fond memories of it, and it was a great car when it ran right. I'm not looking at the Ranger the same way. It's transportation. It's a tool to get me to work and back, up to NJ a couple times a year, and to drag stuff around. While I think it looks cool with it's jacked-up 16" tires and bright-yellow paint, I don't love it as much. But I'm hoping I won't wind up hating it.

There are a few things I plan on doing to it. I need to get a bedliner, probably the spray-on kind. I also want to get a hard tonneau cover for the back - probably the retractable aluminum kind that you can lock, or roll back if you need to carry something tall. I'm not looking forward to spending the money - or the impact this will have on my savings - but it will make the truck way more useful.

So anyway, here are the necessary pics:

one
two
three
four
five

3 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

Using Fx 1.5, those links just link back to www.madanthony.net

Good job, buying a new vehicle. Even if the monthly payments are higher, thee won't be as many surprise $1000 repairs. I don't know how much detail you want to give out about your financials, but is the monthly payment for your truck the same as the PT cruiser?

Oh, and is gas mileage the same?

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

Here are the links for everybody else:

http://www.madanthony.net/pics/newranger1.jpg
http://www.madanthony.net/pics/newranger2.jpg
http://www.madanthony.net/pics/newranger3.jpg
http://www.madanthony.net/pics/newranger4.jpg
http://www.madanthony.net/pics/newranger5.jpg

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger mad anthony said...

I had the PT paid off, so I am going from no car payment to a car payment. But I would rather be putting money towards a new vehicle than towards repairs for a vehicle that is likely to need more in the future. And the payments are considerably lower than the PT was before I paid it off, but it helps that I actually traded in a vehicle that was worth more than the $100 I got for my old K-Car when I bought the PT.

Gas milage seems worse so far, but I've been doing a lot of stop-and-go driving, and running the AC, so hopefully it will improve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home