mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Spyware hits the fox...

Well, I was looking for lyrics for a song because of a post I was making in a forum, and clicked on the second search result from google - and a piece of spyware tried to install a toolbar on my computer.

Which wouldn't be surprising, except I was using FireFox. Here is the screenshot - note the toobar install on the top. When I closed the tab the first time, it also gave me an applet. I forgot to take a screenshot, and when I tried hitting the site again and closing it it didn't come up.

Granted, FireFox worked as it was supposed to - it prompted me, and I said no. But I'm kind of surprised that spyware writers would bother targeting Firefox, since it's somewhat more secure than IE, and because the people who use it tend to be more tech-savy than average. So I guess this post of mine from April has been proven false.

Maybe I should switch to Opera...

1 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

From looking at it, i think that is just an image for a person to click on. It looks more like a IE 6 SP2 bar than a FF install bar. This is a screen of a ff install bar.

http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffinstallbar4ep.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home