mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Thirty pack of Stroh's, thirty pack of ho's

Thanks to Protein Wisom, I've become alerted to the The Kid Rock controversy. The summary: Rocker/rapper Kid Rock was slated to play at an inaguration party. Bunch of conservatives complained on the basis of some of his lyrics. Now there is some doubt if Kid will in fact Play.

The best defense I've seen of Kid is at Right Thoughts. Like JimK at Right Thoughts, I generally like Michelle. I often don't agree with her, even though according to one political survey, I'm to the right of her. But I think she's wrong.

First of all, it's important to seperate the man and the image. Rock and rap are part image. Just as an author writing a book doesn't mean that that person lives the lifestyle of their characters, a musician is not always identical to their lyrics. So how do you judge a person? One way might be their willingness to put themselves in harm's way to entertain the troops.

I listen to lots of rap. This tends to surprise people because I in pretty much every other aspect of life, I'm a quiet, toe-the-line kind of guy. Aside from living in the ghetto, there isn't much in my life that has anything in common with the average rapper's lyrics. So why do I like rap? Exaclty for that reason - it's a release, a fantasy, a glipse of a lifestyle much different than my own.

Michelle talks a lot of about the fact that the Republican party shouldn't bow to "South Park Republicans" - ie libertarian on social issue types, a catagory I probably fit. But there are a lot of people who aren't super-religious, and alienating everyone who feels that their faith can withstand the occasional rap song doesn't help the Republican party - it marginalizes it.

Michelle posted pretty much every time Kid has said "bitch" or "fuck", and JeffK looked at the lyrics to "You never met a motherfucker quite like me". But I think Only God Knows Why seems appropriate:

People don't know about the things
i say and do they don't understand
about the shit that i've
been through, it's been so long
since i've been home i've been gone,
i've been gone for way too long
maybe i forgot all the things I miss
Oh somehow I know there's more to life
than this, I said it too many times
and i still stand firm you get what
you put in and people get what they
deserve, still i ain't seen mine
No I ain't seen mine
I've been giving just ain't been gettin'
I've been walking down that line
So I think I'll keep walking
with my head held high
i'll keep moving on and only God
knows why

1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in agrrement with you on the Kid Rock issue. I also love the lyrics to the song 'only god knows why' I think more people should look deeper into subjects that despite acting as if they understand them, they really do not. On a side note, people should read the lyrics to the Kid Rock song "black chick, white guy" that is basic breakdown of Kids real life. I think that will put things into perspective, Kevin in Baja

 

Post a Comment

<< Home