mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reorganized....

So we had a meeting today at work about the pending reorganization of the IT department at the college I work for.

And I know about as much as I did after the meeting as I did before.

We were told last month that there would be major changes in the department, but weren't told what they would be, officially, until today. Of course, the rumor mill being what it is, we had a pretty good idea about the broad parts of the changes. I was hoping today's meeting would have some more specifics, but it didn't.

I know I have a new director. He's got a pretty good reputation, so that's good - not that I had any serious problems with my current director - I'm not really important enough for it to matter who is 2 levels up from me.

As far as what this will mean for me, it's hard to say, because nobody knows the specifics of how the department will be reorganized or if or how any major changes will occur in terms of structure. It's possible some good will come out of this, but the cynic in me figures that I'll end up getting screwed somehow.

One thing that concerns me, long-term, is that the focus of current management seems to be more on people, on relationship building, and I seem to be pigeonholed as a tech person. Which means that I'm probably not going anywhere career-wise.

The irony is I'd much rather be doing management or business process stuff. I know enough about technology that I can generally figure out what needs to get done with enough head-banging, googling, and asking questions, but it's not really what I enjoy. I have an undergrad degree in business as well as an MBA, and I'd much rather be doing more high-level stuff than writing batch files, but it seems like I'm not going to be anytime soon - which means I probably won't be getting promoted anytime soon.

But we'll see.

1 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It could be worse. You could be working for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home