mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Reunited, and it's understood....

Sitting on my desk is a piece of paper that I need to fill out and send back, but I keep putting it off, even though I know I should do it, and need to do it soon.

No, it's not my mortgage payment or my American Express statement. It's the form for my 10-year high school reunion.

I can't say I have a whole lot of fond memories of high school. About the best I can say is that by senior year, I wasn't completely miserable. But I was pretty much everything you don't want to be in high school - socially awkward, overweight, with overprotective parents. I was a band nerd and a debate team president. I drove a K-Car.

But high school still is a big part of my past. I haven't really kept in touch with anyone from high school, although I've Facebook-friended a few people and had a few people (some kind of surprising) friend me. It would be interesting to see some of these people in person. It could be fun. It could be a good social experience. And it's only 5 hours, and if it sucks too much I can always leave.

I skipped my 5-year college reunion for a couple reasons - nobody I knew was going, and since I work for my school, returning there holds no appeal. But high school is different - it's away from where I live now, and even the people I didn't hang out with in high school, I still knew from classes and homeroom and the like, unlike college, where I had 5 times more people.

I guess I'm torn on what I've accomplished since high school. I'm somewhere in the middle in terms of achievement - I didn't do anything amazing, like become a doctor or a lawyer, but I survived college, am gainfully employed, got my MBA, and am not quite as fat as I was in high school. But I am still single, not a whole lot less socially awkward, and probably not as successful as some of my classmates.

I'm sure I'll end up going. I'm not sure I won't regret it. But I guess if it sucks, I'll know to skip the 15th, unless I win the lottery or marry a supermodel by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home