mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Taking a (very) mini vacation...

I don't take vacations. Spending money on hotels and food away has always seemed like a whole lot of money to spend, money that could be better spent paying down my killer mortgage and other debt. Plus, I generally try to limit the number of days off, figuring that the more I'm at work, the better it is for my career.

But my boss has been harping on me to take some time off (why, I don't really understand), and I do have a floating holiday I need to use before I lose it. I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend some time away from Casa De Mad and work (assuming my cell doesn't ring....). So I decided to take a day off tomorrow and visit scenic Lancaster, PA and do some outlet shopping.

I'm not sure this is a great idea. Vacations are supposed to be stress-free, and I can't help wondering if using a tank of gas, a day of vacation, and whatever money I spend on buying stuff is a good use of money when I have a $2000 repair bill hanging over my head for the woman I backed into, plus some repairs I eventually need to get done to my house before my HOA starts leaving more dunning notices on my door. But compared to an actual vacation, this is a drop in the bucket, and I could use some new clothes. Plus, there's a Sonic in Lancaster, and none in Maryland. And a Pepperidge Farm outlet, so I can stock up on stale cookies and bread.

As long as I can keep from backing into anyone else.

So tomorrow is my 1-day vacation

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't go all the way to Lancaster... shop near home! Go to the Perryville Outlets for some clothes - we recently went there and got some great deals on Van Heusen clothes for my husband. Comfortable enough for casual wear, but casual dressy enough for work. Sign up for their discount "V" card at the store and you get many coupons, too, including 20% off 1st purchase I think it was. Plus they give you coups for the other stores that they own, like Bass shoes, Geoffrey Beene, etc., when you make a purchase.

If you really want Pepperidge Farm, Queenstown is the place to go for that (and all the "higer end" like Tommy Hilfiger type clothes but not at the greatest prices in my opinion). The outlet PF, btw, doesn't have "day old" stuff - its all good and fresh and they also carry Godiva chocolates and Little Debbie stuff too, at about 1/2 retail price. Gotta have that Godiva Hot Choocolate mix if you love cocoa!!

Finally, if you don't want to go too far there's always Arundel Mills outlet, and a couple sales tax free ones in Delaware. Happy V-day shopping!

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Managers push vacation days not as something malicious, but because they want you to have a stable work-life balance. In all of the manager training/meetings that they attend, they are repeatedly told to ensure that their employees are using their time off.

Employeers are looking for a well-rounded employee, and it's great that you are dedicated and don't miss a day of work, but having a work-life balance ensures a stress-free employee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home