mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Monday, July 28, 2008

The cost of a moment's inattention...

Well, I got a call back from the woman I backed into last week. She went to a couple places and the $1652 estimate was the lowest. Plus it's going to take 3-4 days, so I have to pay for a rental car. And the body shop wants either cash or a certified check. They aren't going to be able to work on the car for another week or two, so I have some time to say good-bye to my hard earned money.

I'm starting to wish I'd gone through insurance. But the problem is that by the time I realized that the cost and hassle of this is probably going to be more than the increase, if any, that it would have made on my rates, it was too late. Somewhere in standard insurance contracts is an agreement that you will report accidents within a certain amount of time, usually 24 or 48 hours. It was 72 hours before the person had an estimate, and even then it hadn't really sunk in that I probably would have been better off going through insurance.

This is really getting to me - every time I think about it, I want to cry. I'm normally a very thrifty, frugal person. I go out of my way to save money - hell, I was out trying to make money when I hit her. I do rebates, I eBay, I buy stuff on sale, I've never really taken a vacation, I work overtime when I can, I don't eat out if I can help it, I pretty much defer all gratification so I can save money. And then, in two seconds, I wipe out about 3 weeks worth of salary.

I really can't stand myself.

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Amy said...

MadAnthony,

I am so sorry that this incident happened to you. I would look at it as a lesson in learning that money is a transitory thing and all of the squirrling away doesn't really get you ahead... as you can't take it with you when you're gone! That's a hard lesson I learned. But I know that saving for a rainy day is the mature thing to do, so I give you kudous for that, as I do the same.

But, I do think that while you are young, as you mentioned in your description, only 27, you should be enjoying the money you are making as much as you can. So go out to dinner sometimes, buy something not on sale that you really want. You work really hard for your money, so it's okay to give yourself permission to enjoy it! :)

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did almost the exact thing a few years ago. Only, I had a big 15 passenger daycare van, was in front of a school, and the stupid woman who I hit actually pulled in behind me where she wasn't supposed to be (bus lane). I ended up regretting that I didn't go through the insurance, too. Cost about the same $$ as you're paying too. Sucks, I know. Some lessons are harder/cost more to learn. But just be glad it wasn't a BIGGER mistake - like driving drunk and killing someone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home