mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Anyone want to buy a six foot truck bed of random computer junk?

I have coworkers who gamble. They can sit at a table, lose several hundred dollars, and be OK with it. I'm not one of those people. The one time I went to Atlantic City, I parked myself in front of the penny slots and spent a couple hours losing $33. I don't even buy lottery tickets- I see it as a tax on people who can't do math.

But every now and then, I do gamble. Not at a table, or a slot machine, or the lotto machine at the 7-11 next to the rotating hot dogs. Instead, I go to auctions and buy random crap, with no idea of how much it's worth or what I'm going to do with it or if it even works.

So today, I went to the Record and Tape Trader's Warehouse Auction. RTT was a Maryland used record store chain that recently closed down, and they sold off the crap that was left from the stores and in the warehouse. And I bought much of it.

I spent almost $200. What did I get? I'm not even sure. I loaded up the back of the Ranger, and it's totally full. I haven't unpacked it, and I'm not sure what's in there. They had a bunch of lots of random computer stuff - modems, multiplexers, cables, most-likely-broken video game systems, switchboxes, and more cables. Most of it nobody was interested in, and I pretty much was offering $5 for the lot and getting it.


The big items I got:
- 5 Outkast promo LP'S - I thought these might be worth something - I paid $45 for the lot - but it looks like I'll be lucky if I break even
- a neon Detoxify sign for $40
- a Dell PowerEdge server for $25 (Pentium 4 HT 2.4, 384MB RAM)
- a bunch of video game systems, including at least 3 xboxes, 2 PS2's (one regular, one slim), 4 or more Gamecubes, an n64, and a bunch of controllers. Some were marked bad, but I know a guy who fixes stuff, and I figure if I get one or two working, I'll break even. I think I paid about $40 for everything game-related.


The nice thing about people who gamble is that once you lose at the table, that's it. I still at some point need to unload the truck and figure out where to put all that crap. But I'll have plenty of stuff to sell at the next hamfest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home