mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Friday, December 14, 2007

I'd marry for a buck fidy....

Via my favorite deal site comes this article claiming that Americans would marry for money.

But here's the actual meat of the survey:

The survey polled 1,134 people nationwide with incomes ranging between $30,000 to $60,000 (squarely in the median range for nationwide incomes). The survey asked: "How willing are you to marry an average-looking person that you liked, if they had money?"
Fully two-thirds of women and half of the men said they were "very" or "extremely" willing to marry for money. The answers varied by age: Women in their 30s were the most likely to say they would marry for money (74%) while men in their 20s were the least likely (41%).


Now, maybe I have too low an expectation for what I want to get out of marriage (or am unusually desperate), but to me that doesn't strike me as marrying for money. You like the person. They are average looking. And they have money. I think I'd be willing to marry a woman who satisfied one of those conditions, if I could find one who would put up with me.

Sure, everyone would love to marry a supermodel who they have a deep emotional connection with. But not everyone can find that person, and most people have to settle. And as far as "average looking" - most people are average looking. That's why it's average. So most people probably expect that their spouse will also fall into the average-looking category, even if they happen to have features that they find attractive.

It's also not shocking that older people are more willing to answer yes. It's probably not just the marry for money part - as you get older and are still single, you realize that it's better to marry the good than to wait for the perfect that doesn't exist. I'm not sure it was just the "had money" part that made people answer in the affirmative - the "average looking" and "like" part may have had more to do with it.

So ladies, if you are single, average looking, and between 22 and 32, feel free to email me. You don't even have to have money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home