mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Go shorty, it's my birthday....

Evidently, today is my birthday. I think I'm supposed to care or something. Twenty-six years ago today, at 2:06pm, MadAnthony was born in a hospital in a small town in Central New Jersey. Since then, the world, well, is pretty much the same.

There are certain points in your life where a birthday makes a difference. You turn 17 and get your license (well, I did anyway, because I lived in NJ), you turn 21 and can buy your beer at a real liquor store instead of one that looks like it's run out of someone's basement. But after that it's pretty much downhill. It's a reminder that you are a year closer to death. It's also a reminder that you are a year older and haven't done all the things you thought you would at that age. At least, I do.

There are a couple times a year that it makes sense to take stock of your life. The first is New Years Day, and the second is your birthday. Both are arbitrary - just another time where the sun rises and sets - but they seem symbolic. (The other time I tend to do this is the start of the school year. It was a natural time when I was a student, and since I work for a college, it still kind of works, because it's a time where things tend to change).

So how is MadAnthony doing at the big two six? Well, I have a new house and truck, and a ton of accompanying debt, so that's pretty much a wash. I have a job that I like for the most part - it could pay more, there are things I would do differently if I was in charge, but I have a laid-back atmosphere, a great group of coworkers, and I'm surrounded by hot college girls (who I'd get fired for talking to). I wish I weighed less than I do now, but I'm not as fat as I used to be.

So that just leaves one area of my life that isn't as good as I would like. I still haven't mastered the whole "talking to girls" thing, and the older I get, the harder it gets. Getting older always reminds me that I'm still single, that I don't have the greatest social skills, and that the older I am the more likely it will be that I will always be single.

But otherwise, happy birthday to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home