mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Of Mortgages and Motorcars and overtime...

Well, I started mortgage shopping this week, using the internet - thanks Al Gore! Ever since I started looking, my cell has been ringing off the hook, much to the annoyance of my coworkers, who don't appreciate my choice of salsa-themed ringtone.

So far I've been prequalified from a couple places and preapproved from one place, with a whole bunch of calls I need to return.

But in a fit of perfect timing, my workplace has once again told me that my overtime will be coming to an end- that they want to end all scheduled overtime. I've worked Saturdays every week since September 2003, so I've really gotten used to and depended on that income. I included it when I calculated how much house I could afford, and if I lose it my income goes down by about 20%. This means I have to set my sights lower when house shopping. I guess it's better I find out now than later, after I've already bought a house, but it definitly makes things harder than they were.

It also means that I'm probably going to have to table my plans to buy a new truck. Now I'm thinking less XTerra or Tacoma and more along the lines of a Scion xB. Yes, it's a box. But it's a cheap, Toyota-reliable box that I can probably finance for less than $200/month.

I may get lucky. This isn't the first time that my overtime has been threatened, so while part of me is crying (on the inside) over it, part of me has more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" outlook. There aren't many people who are willing to work Saturdays, and even fewer who are willing to do it for straight pay. Plus, nothing ever moves fast where I work, so even if it does change I may have a while. So we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home