mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Monday, November 20, 2006

No, I don't live in my truck. OK, maybe sometimes...

Last Friday, I was driving a couple of my coworkers to Field's for our traditional Friday night dinner. Upon climbing into the extended cab of my pickup, one of them looked at the giant pile of stuff sitting back there and asked if I was living in my truck.

The pile of stuff was tarps and mover's blankets I had bought for Hamfest - it was supposed to rain and I figured they would be good not only for covering stuff in the bed up, but for covering inventory if it rained so I could just take the tarps off if it stopped raining.

But on Saturday, while I was driving into work for a couple hours, I realized that my coworker wasn't too far off the mark - I practically live in the Ranger, in the sense that I 1)spend a fair amount of time in it and 2)keep a whole bunch of my possesions in it. On Saturday, that was stuff to keep myself busy while I sat by a phone (textbooks, notebooks, my MacBook), plus gym clothes for later. I left for work at 9:30 or so in the morning, worked until 3, grabbed a couple convinience store hot dogs (now with 43% fewer pig assholes!) ran some errands, church, gym, Trader Joe's, Starbucks, and got home around 9:30pm. On days I just have work I'm carrying a messanger bag with lunch and ipod and phone and the like, plus gym clothes. On nights I have class, I don't have the gym clothes, but I do have bookbag and textbooks.

Heck, I eat breakfast in my truck almost every morning (Cliff bar and a travel mug of coffee) and sometimes end up eating lunch there. I feel like I spend very little time at home, other than when I'm sleeping.

Which is kind of depressing - somewhere around half my salary is going to mortgage payments on a house I probably spend 3 or 4 hours a day awake in.

I've always made fun of people who live in crappy apartments but drive blinged-out cars - when I lived in Resevoir Hill, it wasn't unusual to see people living in basement apartments and driving Range Rovers.

But maybe they had a point - if you spend as much time awake in your car as in your home, maybe it's worth it to spend more on your car and less on your home....

1 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Myteeproducts said...

One of the most important considerations in keeping the lumber dry and in good condition until it reaches the store or yard. The heavy duty green poly tarps are 100% water proof so this is not a problem. Oh, and they're tailored to hang over the side of the load to the bottom of the bed, so there is 100% coverage on the whole load.
Thanks.
Joklen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home