mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Impulse buing....

I bought a new TV today, even though there is nothing wrong with my current TV. I've been thinking for a while that I would like a bigger TV to replace my current 32" TruTech LCD, bought on clearance at Target for $400. The new one is an LG 42" plasma that I got from Frys.com for $650 shipped. It's only 720p, but it's a nice set from a good brand, and it's 10 inches bigger than what I have now. I figure I can sell my current TV for $250 or so, which will bring the price down even more.

I figure I watch enough TV that it's worth it. And in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge amount of money, but I still feel bad about spending so much money. I have a good bit of savings tucked away, and my only debt is a small student loan and a giant mortgage. But being cheap, spending any money pains me and makes me feel guilty - especially when it's kind of an impulse purchase. I'm going to be spending some other money this year - I plan on replacing my ancient $200 PC with a Mac Mini next month, and and I need to get gutters replaced and a fence put up this summer. I'm hoping to pay the student loan off in the next year or so - I have the money now, but I feel better keeping the cash liquid in today's economy.

I've got some extra income coming in - I've been able to pick up a little overtime, I've had a pretty good run on eBay and still have a stack of stuff to sell, so I'll do OK. And what is the point of having money if you never spend it? I figure I sacrifice and scrimp enough of the time that I need to splurge every now and then - but I also need to keep that splurging in line enough that I still have enough savings to feel secure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home