mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TNT to mac users: we don't want your kind...

So last night, I decided to watch some TV before going to bed. I flipped on my new-to-me RePlayTV and looked at what was on it. A rerun of Chuck. A couple episodes of different flavors of CSI. A few episodes of Law and Order SVU. Some old reruns of Property Ladder. Nothing I really wanted to watch.

So I woke up my work-issued MacBook Pro and fired up Hulu. Nothing on there that I hadn't seen. I remembered that I had missed a few episodes of TNT's The Closer when my DVR asploded last month, so I went to the TNT website. And got this page:

Sorry :(

In annoyance, I closed the Mac and read a book. I did have Parallels installed on it, but I didn't feel like launching it just to watch TV. I also have a Windows XP desktop upstairs, but I wanted to watch TV hooked up to the 32" LCD in my living room, sitting on a nice comfy couch, rather than upstairs in my home office on a 24" LCD while sitting on a not-particularly-comfortable office chair.

The beauty of the web is that it's generally platform-independent. I know that Mac (and Linux) users make up a small part of the installed base, but ignoring them still seems like a really bad idea. Mac's market share is growing (and given the number of netbooks with Linux, it probably is too). Not only that, Mac users skew the way that advertisers often want - younger, wealthier, better looking. OK, maybe not the last one, but I read that last year something like 50% of incoming college students with laptops had Macs. Is that really a market that TNT (and it's advertisers) wants to ignore - trendsetting young people with money to spend?

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having recently purchased a mac and then thinking I might watch a missed episode of a TNT show, I am also puzzled and disappointed at getting the little sad face when I clicked to watch the show. I was wondering if you had found a solution?

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fit into your 50%, having just bought a mac for school and attempting to watch TNT's Leverage. I find this absolutely ridiculous; even with the supplied download that is supposed to allow viewing, once downloaded it tells you that the TNT material is protected, and Flip4Mac doesn't play protected material.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger isoron said...

This is why God made torrents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home