mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Giving props to the MVA...

The Motor Vehicle Administration is typically an object of scorn. Long lines, rude service, and the fact that it's not like you can go somewhere else to register your car or get your license usually mean an unpleasant experience.

And the first few times I dealt with the MVA, when I first moved to Maryland and went to the Baltimore City (Mondawmin Mall), that was the experience I had. Long lines, lots of waiting, and generally apathetic staff. I also ordered and paid for affiliate plates for my college alumni association that they said they would mail to me and never did - I didn't bother following up because I didn't want to deal with them more than I had to, and I had a fear that it would screw things up even more and I'd end up without valid plates.

But the last couple times I've dealt with the MVA, it's been painless. I'm not sure if it's the change of scenery - I've been going to the MVA Express in Parkville rather than the Baltimore City one (where I would have had to go anyway to do what I did 5 years ago - the Express doesn't do out of state license conversions). Two years ago when I bought my truck, I had to turn in the plates from my old car and was in and out in a few minutes. And last Wednesday, when I went to renew my license, the experience was also painless. I went a little after 11am, so I expected it to be busy with early-lunch traffic, but it wasn't. I got in line, there was an open CSR, and the process was smooth. I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

Maybe I've gotten lucky, maybe Parkville is just the only location that doesn't suck, but I've been happy with my last two experiences. And now I have a license with a picture that actually looks like me and a weight that's actually accurate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home