mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A weighty issue...

Next week, I go back on my diet.

It's probably something most people say several times a year, and I'm hoping that I actually mean it this time. For the last few months, my weight has been going up and down like a forcefully-thrown superball. Thanksgiving, followed by a week-long training trip to upstate New York, followed by Christmas, caused my waistline to expand a little more than it should have. In the months that followed, I dropped a few of those pounds - and last week gained them back, thanks to another training trip to Indiana. This week is Easter, which probably won't help things.

I don't really regret gaining the weight - I got to eat things that I probably won't be able to again any time in the future. But I would regret keeping it on - I'd like to at least get back to where I was a few months ago, and would prefer to drop a few more pounds beyond that. Which is going to mean giving up a lot of stuff I want to eat, and making sure I make it to the gym daily.

I'm hoping that losing the weight will make me look a little better, and maybe be a bit of a confidence booster, although I'm not counting on it - I doubt there are too many women going "man, that madanthony would be hot if he lost 10 pounds".

And there-in lies the other thing that I need to do this summer - start working on upper-body, strength training stuff. I figure I'll wait till summer, when the gym at the college I work for is emptier. I'm also probably going to need to find someone to show me the ropes, or at least get one of those dummies books - I find weight equipment rather off-putting - I don't know where to start. I also feel like it's going to cut into my time to do cardio. But it would be nice to have some upper body strength, and it would probably help me in the looks department. Which I desperately need.

1 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Thibeaux said...

Don't wait until summer. Don't think you need a gym, or any bulky equipment. Start today, at home, and continue a couple times per week, doing whatever exercises you know. Muscles need time to grow, and every unused day can never be regained. You can do plenty of exercises with no equipment, like sit-ups and push ups, and lots more with just a couple dumbbells. Choose a weight that allows 3-10 sets of 5-12 reps each. Later, buy a fitness magazine, cut out the full body workout photos, put them on your wall, and follow the routine. It WILL improve your confidence, and that's what will help, more than looks alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home