mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

What do I think of the Terri thing?

I kind of feel like I should post something on the Terri Schiavo thing - after all, every blog seems to have tons of posts.

The problem is I don't really feel strongly about it. My instinct is to side with the parents, for a couple reasons. First of all, continuing to feed her seems the most reversable and path - they can always stop feeding her later, but once she starves to death, she's dead for good. (I read that sentance and it sounds incredibly stupid, and I hope you get what I'm saying). Of course, that view might also be influended by those 17 years of Catholic school, and maybe my own fears of death. The fact the Mr. Schiavio comes across as a bit of a jerk doesn't really help things.

But the fact is that this isn't an easy decision, mostly because we don't know the truth. We don't know what Terri is feeling, what it feels like to starve to death, what she would have wanted, and if there really is any chance of her recovering. Trying to come up with an answer to when life truly ends and what man's roll in it should be are deep questions, and trying to apply it to this case with so many unknows is like trying to perform surgery blindfolded with a chainsaw.

Even though I side with the family, the idea of federal legislation or of the supreme court getting involved (both attempted, neither successful) makes me nervous. This to me is sad and maybe even tragic, but it's not really the role of the Federal Government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home