mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

i am not so sure about the new iMac..

Apple's revealed their new iMac today. Unlike the last one, which had a base with a swivel arm, the new one is all in one, with the components mounted behind the CPU.

I'm not sure if I like it - it doesn't really seem that unique to me, because it's just a flat panel with a computer behind it. Maybe it's just that it reminds me of the God Awful IBM Netvista X41's that we have where I work.

I have to say that I didn't like the original iMac when it came out, but it kind of grew on me. Maybe it was an increased interest in aestetics, or maybe it was from watching Tiffany Amber Theisen use one on FastLane (which, by the way was an awesome show that Fox never should have cancelled. Stuff blowing up, hot girls, hot cars, rap music - it was escapism, but it was FUN).

The other thing is I wonder how long it will last. Apple always seems to have trouble with the first generation of any product it intros. Also, the G5 processor runs incredibly hot, and even though Apple has reduced the bus speed it probably will make for hot G5 - which could lead to burned out processors and heat damaged circuit boards.

It's funny that I make a big deal out of the iMac, since I would probably never buy one - I like having an upgradable desktop, and I like having a portable laptop, but I have no need for a small desktop with no upgrade capability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home