mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Sunday, September 12, 2004

But think of the f-ing children...

OpinionJournal has an interesting article about use of the F-word by University of Maryland College Park fans. Students have been wearing shirts with the F word and chanting it in the stands. University reps have been reluctant to quash the "free speech" of students, and they turned away ESPN reporters doing a story on them to "protect their students".

Now I'm not known for having the cleanest mouth in the south, but I think that there is a time and a place for dropping the f-bomb, and I don't think a basketball game is the place place for it. I think it's reasonable that parents can take their kids to a college basketball game without them hearing the f-word, and that a TV channel can broadcast it without having to worry about incurring FTC fines for the actions of it's fans.

The Journal feels that the reason for this is that the school is reluctant to crack down on students who are potential donors (which reminds me of the idea in Beer and Circus, that colleges put up with drinking and tailgating because they love the donor money and publicity).

I have to say that I don't have to worry about my alma matter putting up with cursing fans, mainly because we don't really have any fans. Our basketball team last year came within one game of tying the record for most basketball losses in a row.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home