mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

lyf sux?

So I'm making my traditional Saturday afternoon church/gym run, doing 70 in the middle lane of I-695, when I see a somewhat jarring license plate. I try to get a picture with my cell phone, but between the difficulty of driving and trying to take a pic, and my VX6800's god-aweful camera interface, this completly useless pic is the best I could do.

What does the plate say? LYF SUX - or for those who don't speak text message, life sucks.

Which seems kind of odd. The car is a Nissian 300Z convertible, base price $35,800. It was driven, top down, by a man and a woman who appeared to be wearing some Gucci shades.

So you have a couple, out for a drive on a nice Saturday in a car that cost more than the average American makes in a year, in one of the most free and prosperous countries on the planet, complaining that "lyf sux".

I'm hoping that he was being ironic, because if not he must have incredibly high standards for what makes life not suck.

There are certain aspects of my life I'm not happy with - mostly my complete lack of a dating life. When you've been single as long as I have, and when nothing seems to work to change that, you start to wonder what's wrong with you, and if you will ever figure out what it is and be able to change it. And my social life in general could live some help, considering that it's 10pm on a Saturday, and I'm sitting in front of my PC, blogging and editing pictures for stuff I'm selling on eBay while my cat stares at me from the other desk.

But other than that, it's hard to complain. The weather's nice, I'm gainfully employed, I have a reliable paid-off vehicle, I have a fairly nice place to live (even if housing values are falling as we speak, and even if it's got a few fixtures that were in style when Carter was president). I'm in decent health, I've got a family that cares about me, a cat that seems to like me when she isn't trying to gnaw my arm off, and several computers that are hundreds of times more powerful than ones that filled a room a few decades ago. I've got a $150 device that can look to the sky to tell me where I am and where to go, and an unlimited amount of knowledge and entertainment via the internet that comes into my house via a little black coax cable. I'll live longer and better, on average, than anyone else in history.

Life could be better. But it doesn't suck. And I don't even have a cool car, or a chick in the passenger seat.

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I was reading about how to make Beef jerkey. And then I came across ur blog about saving the snail, and eating your meat. Very random. Anyways your blogs are intresting.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is definately ironic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home