mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

More car horror stories.....

Well, Sunday morning I get into the PT Cruiser to go run a few errands. Turn it on and notice the check engine light is on. Don't think too much of this, as two years ago it went on, and it turned out just to be the sensor that makes the check engine light go on had gone bad, or something. It was still under warranty then.

But as I'm driving, I notice that the transmission is making some disturbing noises and that it's not shifting - the tach goes up but not down.

So I go to Autozone, because they have a free check engine light diagnosis. It gives three errors - 0605 ROM error and two 0700 transmission control errors.

So I call up a Chrysler dealership. They suggest that I get it towed, as it's in "limp-home" mode and doesn't go out of second gear. So I take advantage of my AAA Plus membership and get it towed.

Turns out it's the whole transmission controller. $600, plus a few hundred more for some other routine maintance. Car dealer comps me a rental (a Toyota Corolla) and says it will be ready today at noon. Call them at 11, they said the parts didn't come in and it wouldn't be ready until after 1. So I'm picking it up after work.

Once again, I'm debating the merits of getting rid of this car before it costs me more - it's like having car payments because I'm dumping so much into this car, and it seems like it has major recurrent electrical problems. But if I buy a new car, there is no way I will be able to get a mortage, and I really don't want to put off buying a house any longer.

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Muneer said...

After you have poured all of this money in it, you shouldn't dump it anytime soon. With all of these repairs, I would like to think that you will be able to drive it to the ground.

My hope is that the ground doesn't come for 5-10 years...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home