mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Finally, a killer app for online shopping...

One of my friends introduced me to something really cool - totally customizable clothing from Target.

Right now, they only offer three products - Khaki pants and shirts for men, and jeans for the ladies.

This seems like the perfect application for e-commerce. You can customize the clothing in infinite ways - for example, the men's khakis can be made with or without pleats, regular or relaxed, with or without buttons on the back pockets, and a number of other changes. You can also change the inseam, waist size (including half sizes), and your body type.

This is truly one-degree-of-seperation, just in time manufacturing (JIT) - all the buzzwords that business people like. This takes JIT to the ultimate level - the customer places the order directly.

I'm kind of disappointed that the khaki sizes only go up to 46". This is a killer app for fat people - and I say that as a fat person. Because I'm as wide as I am tall, I have to have all my pants hemmed. It's perfect for anyone with odd measurments or who wants specific things.

I think we are truly living in the greatest era ever in terms of technology.

1 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger David Foster said...

Interesting, but will it work?

1)lots of questions..will people be willing to go through several screens?
2)some of the questions are subjective...maybe people will think they're better (physically) than they really are, and thereby get a good fit
3)why on earth did Target require a separate registration even if you're already registered for Target online? As a TGT shareholder, this really makes me wonder about what's going on in the place.

photoncourier.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home