mad anthony

Rants, politics, and thoughts on politics, technology, life,
and stuff from a generally politically conservative Baltimoron.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'm a rare breed...

I'm a rare breed that the City of Baltimore is trying to recruit - a registered Republican who is a Baltimore CIty resident. Right after I registered to vote I got a postcard looking for election judges who were registered Republicans, and I got another one a couple days ago. It's not surprising that it's hard to find judges, considering that the data for Baltimore seems to be something like 92% Democrat.

I thought about doing it, but aside from not wanting to have to take a day off from work to do it, I don't really feel comfortable being the only Republican in a sea of Democrats (especially given the number of anti-Bush - not Pro-Kerry, but "international terrorist" with a picture of Bush - bumper stickers I see). The financial rewards - $125 for the day, which runs from 6am until polls close - isn't exactly enough to make me take the risk. Asuming that the polls close at 8, that works out to about $8 an hour. And I don't know if I want to be responsible if a controversy errupts.

I'm wonder if the low pay and weekday schedule is part of the trouble with them finding recruits - in addition to being rare, Republicans usually have jobs that pay more than $8 an hour.

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Dennis Weed said...

I'm a Republican in Erie, PA. Every 2 years I run for Republican Committeeman for my district. There are so few Republicans I gave up getting the 10 signatures I need to get on the balot. I write myself in and win.

PS Mad Anthony Wayne is buried here in Erie and Erie Brewing Company makes Mad Anthony Ale.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home